Instead of the normal (boring) story of me, here’s 25 things about me and this blog that you may (or may not) find interesting!
- I’m a single mum of two little misters (aged 2 and 6)
- I’m an Aussie. I was born in Sydney NSW, moved to Victoria where I lived for about 12 years before moving again to sunny Queensland. I’ve been here (on the Gold Coast) ever since.
- The beach is my happy place.
- I have a potty mouth (sorry).
- I wanted to start this blog as I’ve found it ridiculously difficult to find awesome things for boys. It seems that every store has a little girls range spread out as far as the eye can see. I walk passed the endless array of pretty skirts and tops, shoes and accessories, Barbie and babies, to the tiny little area in the corner for boys, which has some t-shirts, shorts, a ninja turtle and some blocks. Boring!!! So, I’m going to hunt for things for boys, and let you know when I find them.
- I’m terrible at saving. I try and fail, a lot.
- The thought of entering the ‘dating scene’ after a divorce makes me want to hide in a corner, in the foetal position, in my most comfy tracksuit pants. It’s been an awfully long time since I’ve ‘dated’ (is it even still called that??) and I wouldn’t have the foggiest idea what to do. So, when the time comes, I’ll be (stupidly) sharing the adventure with you. Get ready to laugh at my expense.
- My favourite smells are coconut, coffee, frangipani flowers (the actual flowers, not the candles or incense or perfume that claim to smell like frangipani but actually smell like toilet freshener)
- I have a MASSIVE fear of spiders. I carry a can of super strength spray around the house with me. I also don’t like heights. I can look out across the distance from up high but will probably muffle a scream if I have to look down. This includes the gaps between trains and the platform, planes and the stairs, and those staircases with nothing between each step except air.
- The main focus of RM is on raising boys and finding some pretty awesome things for the misters, I also hope to touch on my hectic life (and stuff ups) as a single mum, getting through it all and moving forward, how I’m finding myself again.
- I have an ‘eclectic’ taste in music. My favourite songs are Porcelain by Moby, High by Peking Duk, Rock the Casbah by The Clash and La Vie En Rose by Edith Piaf. The songs on my playlist, however, range from Beyonce, to Coldplay; INXS to Kylie Minogue; dance to rap; classical to rock. I draw the line at heavy metal – that’s just yelling and there’s enough of it here at home, I don’t need it on my playlist.
- I need to work on saying no, instead of saying yes when my mind is screaming NO and getting cranky later!
- I love clothes and beauty products and jewels and perfume and bags and shoes – all of it. I just happen to be a little klutzy putting it all together, and doing it all on a pathetic budget. So I’m going to try being your bargain hunter! I will also be asking for your tips and tricks.
- I am the used-by-date warden. I sniff everything (especially the milk, even though I’ve already checked the date, twice) and I secretly check the dates of friends and families items. All the time.
- Some of my favourite movies are The Beach, Chocolat, Eat Pray Love, and Under the Tuscan Sun. I ugly cried at Nights in Rodanthe, Message in a Bottle and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I laughed out loud at The 40 Year Old Virgin, The Hangover, Last Vegas and Bridesmaids. I adored Life of Pi. I’ve never watched any of the Star Wars or Star Trek movies (there’s a difference, right?). I watch Home Alone every Christmas. Magic Mike was a terrible movie. But I’d still watch it over and over again.
- Sometimes I have that ‘inappropriate response to serious situations’ face. I have no idea why and I cannot seem to stop it. Someone could be very upset and I can feel a smile itching at the corners of my lips. I’m a bad person.
- I want this to be a place where we can talk about anything, share things, show off family photos, laugh and cry and rant, thank someone special, share what makes you grateful, organisation tips, DIY, raising little ones (and big ones), how to deal when life gives you big fat lemons, suggest tips and ideas, offer advice and of course, things for boys.
- I need to exercise more. That last word was unnecessary.
- I am Pinterest obsessed.
- After taking time off to raise my misters and deal with life, I was ready to join in some adult conversation and use my brain a little more and re-entered the workforce. I know many other mums in the same position so let’s help each other out with job hunting tips, resume ideas and interview suggestions (because quite frankly, I need all the help I can get).
- If there was a smorgasbord solely consisting of crackers, cheeses, dips and other antipasto goodies (and wine) – I’d pretty much live there.
- I cannot drive a manual car (I’ve tried, it was embarrassing), I don’t like it when people don’t indicate and I forget people can actually see me when I’m holding my own concert at the traffic lights.
- I have several qualifications including a Diploma of Counselling (ironic much?!). I’d always wanted to be a Police Officer but chickened out. I’ve also always loved writing but chickened out of that too…. until now.
- When I set my alarm on my phone, I check it about 3 times before setting the phone down. Not sure why I bother anyway considering the little misters are awake as soon as the sun comes up.
- Lets face it; the internet can be a pretty crappy place sometimes thanks to the keyboard warriors that feel they are entitled to judge and bully. They aggravate me like nothing else. If you’re one these people and you feel the need to judge others, make unnecessary comments or belittle others – then thanks for stopping by but keep on moving. I’m open to different thoughts and opinions, I think it’s fantastic – but bullying is a different thing all together and I wont have it here.
*Unless otherwise stated, everything on this site is © Raising Misters